Monday, April 12, 2010

I said last week that I am inclined at times to pursue possible directions of thinking "methodically one at a time as they occur to me." I wonder now how I can have thought that made any sense.

For the time during which I pursued things as they occur to me, one could say that I was following a certain method. But this only proves that the meaning of the word "method" submits so pliably to philosophical extension that it can be applied easily to its opposite. The concept in that case disappears.

This "method" is the same as that to which I contrasted it: pursuing all the directions for thinking "in a frantic mixture."

Apparently my invocation of method was just a cover for my consummately frantic disposition.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if it does indeed disappear...or if such method more like what Nietzsche, towards the end of his sane life, famously wrote of himself in a letter to a friend, namely that it was not hard "to find me" but "losing me" is going to be the real trick (I paraphrase). Does method disappear when it is haphazard, or must it be lost methodically?

    ReplyDelete